DALLAS–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Hilltop Holdings Inc. (NYSE: HTH) (“Hilltop”) today announced financial results for the third quarter of 2022. Hilltop produced income to common stockholders of $32.1 million, or $0.50 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2022, compared to $92.9 million, or $1.15 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2021. Hilltop’s financial results for the third quarter of 2022 reflect a significant decrease in year-over-year mortgage origination segment net gains from sales of loans and other mortgage production income.
Hilltop also announced that its Board of Directors declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.15 per common share payable on November 25, 2022, to all common stockholders of record as of the close of business on November 11, 2022.
Identified headwinds during 2022, including uncertainties related to inflationary pressures on expenses, the impact of tight housing inventories on mortgage volumes, declining deposit balances, and increases in market interest rates, coupled with a declining economic forecast, rapid increases in U.S. treasury yields and mortgage interest rates, and exposure to increasing funding costs during the first nine months of 2022 have had, and are expected to continue to have, an adverse impact on our operating results during the remainder of 2022 and into the first half of 2023.
Jeremy B. Ford, President and CEO of Hilltop, said “Our third quarter financial results were once again driven by a strong performance from PlainsCapital Bank, which continued to prudently grow its core loan portfolio while realizing the benefits of the rising rate environment and resulting expansion of net interest margin. Though deposits declined in the third quarter, the bank still maintains elevated liquidity and ample core deposit funding relative to its loan portfolio. HilltopSecurities experienced improved third quarter results from both a net revenues and pre-tax margin standpoint when compared to each of the trailing three quarters. PrimeLending continues to face material housing market headwinds, including a sharp rise in mortgage interest rates, compression in gain on sale margins and continued affordability concerns for potential home buyers. We remain focused at PrimeLending, and across the Hilltop enterprise, on controlling costs during this dynamic interest rate environment. Importantly, despite the immense and sudden pressure in the mortgage sector, we remained profitable on a consolidated basis and continued to grow capital. We look forward to finishing out 2022 with strong results from our talented team, while positioning Hilltop towards the coming year.”
Third Quarter 2022 Highlights for Hilltop:
- The reversal of credit losses was $0.8 million during the third quarter of 2022, compared to a provision for credit losses of $5.3 million in the second quarter of 2022 and a reversal of credit losses of $5.8 million in the third quarter of 2021;
- The reversal of credit losses during the third quarter of 2022 reflected modest improvements in the U.S. economic outlook, specific reserves and credit metrics since the prior quarter.
- For the third quarter of 2022, net gains from sale of loans and other mortgage production income and mortgage loan origination fees within our mortgage origination segment was $98.0 million, compared to $241.9 million in the third quarter of 2021, a 59.5% decrease;
- Mortgage loan origination production volume was $3.0 billion during the third quarter of 2022, compared to $5.6 billion in the third quarter of 2021;
- Net gains from mortgage loans sold to third parties decreased to 227 basis points during the third quarter of 2022, compared to 260 basis points in the second quarter of 2022.
- Hilltop’s consolidated annualized return on average assets and return on average stockholders’ equity for the third quarter of 2022 were 0.79% and 6.26%, respectively, compared to 2.13% and 14.96%, respectively, for the third quarter of 2021;
- Hilltop’s book value per common share increased to $31.46 at September 30, 2022, compared to $31.43 at June 30, 2022;
- Hilltop’s total assets were $16.6 billion and $16.7 billion at September 30, 2022 and June 30, 2022, respectively;
- Loans1, net of allowance for credit losses, were $7.4 billion at both September 30, 2022 and June 30, 2022;
- Non-performing loans were $34.6 million, or 0.39% of total loans, at September 30, 2022, compared to $35.7 million, or 0.38% of total loans, at June 30, 2022;
- Loans held for sale decreased by 32.7% from June 30, 2022 to $1.0 billion at September 30, 2022;
- Total deposits were $11.4 billion and $11.9 billion at September 30, 2022 and June 30, 2022, respectively;
- Hilltop maintained strong capital levels2 with a Tier 1 Leverage Ratio3 of 11.41% and a Common Equity Tier 1 Capital Ratio of 17.45% at September 30, 2022;
- Hilltop’s consolidated net interest margin4 increased to 3.19% for the third quarter of 2022, compared to 2.75% in the second quarter of 2022;
- Included previously deferred interest income of $0.2 million during the third quarter of 2022 related to PPP loan-related origination fees, compared to $1.3 million in the second quarter of 2022.
- For the third quarter of 2022, noninterest income was $207.0 million, compared to $367.9 million in the third quarter of 2021, a 43.7% decrease;
- For the third quarter 2022, noninterest expense was $288.7 million, compared to $355.2 million in the third quarter of 2021, a 18.7% decrease; and
- Hilltop’s effective tax rate was 21.8% during the third quarter of 2022, compared to 22.8% during the same period in 2021.
“Loans” reflect loans held for investment excluding broker-dealer margin loans, net of allowance for credit losses, of $402.0 million and $462.4 million at September 30, 2022 and June 30, 2022, respectively.
Capital ratios reflect Hilltop’s decision to elect the transition option as issued by the federal banking regulatory agencies in March 2020 that permits banking institutions to mitigate the estimated cumulative regulatory capital effects from CECL over a five-year transitionary period.
Based on the end of period Tier 1 capital divided by total average assets during the quarter, excluding goodwill and intangible assets.
Net interest margin is defined as net interest income divided by average interest-earning assets.
Conference Call Information
Hilltop will host a live webcast and conference call at 8:00 AM Central (9:00 AM Eastern) on Friday, October 21, 2022. Hilltop President and CEO Jeremy B. Ford and Hilltop CFO William B. Furr will review third quarter 2022 financial results. Interested parties can access the conference call by dialing 1-844-200-6205 (United States), 1-833-950-0062 (Canada) or 1-929-526-1599 (all other locations) and then using the access code 098668. The conference call also will be webcast simultaneously on Hilltop’s Investor Relations website (http://ir.hilltop-holdings.com).
Hilltop Holdings is a Dallas-based financial holding company. Its primary line of business is to provide business and consumer banking services from offices located throughout Texas through PlainsCapital Bank. PlainsCapital Bank’s wholly owned subsidiary, PrimeLending, provides residential mortgage lending throughout the United States. Hilltop Holdings’ broker-dealer subsidiaries, Hilltop Securities Inc. and Momentum Independent Network Inc., provide a full complement of securities brokerage, institutional and investment banking services in addition to clearing services and retail financial advisory. At September 30, 2022, Hilltop employed approximately 4,385 people and operated approximately 370 locations in 47 states. Hilltop Holdings’ common stock is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “HTH.” Find more information at Hilltop-Holdings.com, PlainsCapital.com, PrimeLending.com and HilltopSecurities.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause our actual results, performance or achievements to be materially different from any future results, performance or achievements anticipated in such statements. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date they are made and, except as required by law, we do not assume any duty to update forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements concerning such things as our plans, objectives, strategies, expectations, intentions and other statements that are not statements of historical fact, and may be identified by words such as “anticipates,” “believes,” “building,” “continue,” “could,” “drive,” “estimates,” “expects,” “extent,” “focus,” “forecasts,” “goal,” “guidance,” “intends,” “may,” “might,” “outlook,” “plan,” “probable,” “progressing,” “projects,” “seeks,” “should,” “target,” “view,” “well-tuned,” “will” or “would” or the negative of these words and phrases or similar words or phrases. The following factors, among others, could cause actual results to differ materially from those set forth in the forward-looking statements: (i) the credit risks of lending activities, including our ability to estimate credit losses and the allowance for credit losses, as well as the effects of changes in the level of, and trends in, loan delinquencies and write-offs; (ii) effectiveness of our data security controls in the face of cyber attacks; (iii) changes in general economic, market and business conditions in areas or markets where we compete, including changes in the price of crude oil; (iv) changes in the interest rate environment; and (v) risks associated with concentration in real estate related loans. For further discussion of such factors, see the risk factors described in our most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and other reports that are filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20221020005898/en/
Source: Hilltop Holdings Inc.