DALLAS–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Hilltop Holdings Inc. (NYSE: HTH) (“Hilltop”) today announced financial results for the third quarter of 2021. Hilltop produced income from continuing operations to common stockholders of $92.9 million, or $1.15 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2021, compared to $152.5 million, or $1.69 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2020. Hilltop’s financial results from continuing operations for the third quarter of 2021 included a decrease in year-over-year mortgage origination segment net gains from sales of loans and other mortgage production income as well as declines in net revenues within the broker-dealer segment’s structured finance business and fixed income services lines, partially offset by improvements in the macroeconomic outlook and resulting beneficial impact on loan expected loss rates within the banking segment.
Including income from discontinued operations related to the former insurance business, income applicable to common stockholders was $92.9 million, or $1.15 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2021, compared to $153.3 million, or $1.70 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2020.
Hilltop also announced that its Board of Directors declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.12 per common share, payable on November 30, 2021, to all common stockholders of record as of the close of business on November 15, 2021. Additionally, during the third quarter of 2021, Hilltop paid approximately $74 million to repurchase an aggregate of 2,241,761 shares of its common stock at a weighted average price of $33.06 per share pursuant to the 2021 stock repurchase program. These shares were returned to the pool of authorized but unissued shares of common stock.
Furthermore, in October 2021, the Hilltop Board of Directors authorized, subject to regulatory review, an increase to the aggregate amount of common stock that Hilltop may repurchase under the aforementioned stock repurchase program to $200.0 million, an increase of $50.0 million. As a result of share repurchases during 2021 and giving effect to such increase, Hilltop has approximately $76 million of available share repurchase capacity through expiration of the stock repurchase program in January 2022.
The COVID-19 pandemic has adversely impacted financial markets and overall economic conditions, and is expected to continue to have implications on our business and operations. The extent of the impact of the pandemic on our operational and financial performance for the remainder of 2021 and into 2022 is currently uncertain and will depend on certain developments outside of our control, including, among others, the ongoing distribution and effectiveness of vaccines, government stimulus, the ultimate impact of the pandemic on our customers and clients, and additional, or extended, federal, state and local government orders and regulations that might be imposed in response to the pandemic.
Jeremy B. Ford, President and CEO of Hilltop, said, “I am happy to announce strong operating results for all three businesses at Hilltop. We have seen continued improvement in our asset quality, which is a reflection of both the sound lending practices employed by PlainsCapital Bank and the improving economic environment. The trend of increasing deposits remained steady in the quarter, and we are working diligently to deploy that excess liquidity through relationship-based lending and prudent management of our securities portfolio. At PrimeLending and the mortgage-centric businesses at Hilltop Securities, continued strength in the housing market and solid execution from our teams resulted in strong profitability. In addition, Hilltop continued to return a portion of our excess capital to shareholders through approximately $10 million of dividends paid and $74 million of share repurchases during the third quarter.”
Third Quarter 2021 Highlights for Hilltop:
- The reversal of credit losses was $5.8 million during the third quarter of 2021, compared to a reversal of credit losses of $28.7 million in the second quarter of 2021;
- The reversal of credit losses during the third quarter of 2021 primarily reflected improvements in both macroeconomic forecast assumptions and credit quality metrics on COVID-19 impacted industry sector exposures;
- For the third quarter of 2021, net gains from sale of loans and other mortgage production income and mortgage loan origination fees within our mortgage origination segment was $241.9 million, compared to $355.6 million in the third quarter of 2020, a 32.0% decrease;
- Mortgage loan origination production volume was $5.6 billion during the third quarter of 2021, compared to $6.5 billion in the third quarter of 2020;
- Net gains from mortgage loans sold to third parties declined to 359 basis points during the third quarter of 2021, compared to 376 basis points in the second quarter of 2021.
- Hilltop’s consolidated annualized return on average assets and return on average equity for the third quarter of 2021 were 2.13% and 14.96%, respectively, compared to 3.71% and 25.94%, respectively, for the third quarter of 2020;
- Hilltop’s book value per common share increased to $31.36 at September 30, 2021, compared to $30.44 at June 30, 2021;
- Hilltop’s total assets were $18.0 billion and $17.7 billion at September 30, 2021 and June 30, 2021, respectively;
- Loans1, net of allowance for credit losses, decreased to $6.8 billion at September 30, 2021 compared to $6.9 billion at June 30, 2021;
- Includes supporting our impacted banking clients through funding of over 4,100 loans through both rounds of the Paycheck Protection Program, or PPP, with a remaining balance of approximately $133 million as of September 30, 2021, compared to approximately $261 million as of June 30, 2021;
- Through October 22, 2021, the Small Business Administration, or SBA, had approved approximately 3,300 PPP forgiveness applications from the Bank totaling approximately $775 million, with PPP loans of approximately $12 million pending SBA review and approval.
- Non-performing loans were $62.2 million, or 0.64% of total loans, at September 30, 2021, compared to $69.0 million, or 0.66% of total loans, at June 30, 2021;
- We further supported our impacted banking clients during 2020 through the approval of COVID-19 related loan modifications of approximately $1.0 billion, and continued such support during 2021, resulting in a portfolio of active deferrals that have not reached the end of their deferral period of approximately $17 million as of September 30, 2021, compared to approximately $76 million in active deferment as of June 30, 2021;
- While the majority of the portfolio of COVID-19 related loan modifications no longer require deferral, such loans may continue to represent elevated risk; therefore, monitoring of these loans continues;
- The extent of these loans progressing into non-performing loans during future periods is uncertain.
- Loans held for sale decreased by 26.9% from June 30, 2021 to $2.1 billion at September 30, 2021;
- Total deposits were $12.1 billion and $11.7 billion at September 30, 2021 and June 30, 2021, respectively;
- Hilltop maintained strong capital levels2 with a Tier 1 Leverage Ratio3 of 12.64% and a Common Equity Tier 1 Capital Ratio of 21.28% at September 30, 2021;
- We redeemed in full all of our outstanding junior subordinated debentures of $67.0 million, which resulted in the full redemption to the holders of the associated preferred securities and common securities during the third quarter of 2021;
- Hilltop’s consolidated net interest margin4 decreased to 2.53% for the third quarter of 2021, compared to 2.62% in the second quarter of 2021;
- Includes previously deferred interest income of $4.6 million during the third quarter of 2021 related to PPP loan-related origination fees.
- For the third quarter of 2021, noninterest income from continuing operations was $367.9 million, compared to $502.7 million in the third quarter of 2020, a 26.8% decrease;
- For the third quarter of 2021, noninterest expense from continuing operations was $355.2 million, compared to $399.3 million in the third quarter of 2020, a 11.1% decrease; and
- Hilltop’s effective tax rate from continuing operations was 22.8% during the third quarter of 2021, compared to 22.7% during the same period in 2020.
On June 30, 2020, Hilltop completed the sale of National Lloyds Corporation, or NLC, which comprised the operations of its former insurance segment, for cash proceeds of $154.1 million. During 2020, Hilltop recognized an aggregate gain associated with this transaction of $36.8 million, net of transaction costs. Accordingly, insurance segment results and its assets and liabilities have been presented as discontinued operations. The resulting book gain from this sale transaction was not recognized for tax purposes pursuant to the rules promulgated under the Internal Revenue Code.
Conference Call Information
Hilltop will host a live webcast and conference call at 8:00 AM Central (9:00 AM Eastern) on Friday, October 29, 2021. Hilltop President and CEO Jeremy B. Ford and Hilltop CFO William B. Furr will review third quarter 2021 financial results. Interested parties can access the conference call by dialing 1-844-200-6205 (United States), 1-833-950-0062 (Canada) or 1-929-526-1599 (all other locations) and then using the access code 343796. The conference call also will be webcast simultaneously on Hilltop’s Investor Relations website (http://ir.hilltop-holdings.com).
Hilltop Holdings is a Dallas-based financial holding company. Its primary line of business is to provide business and consumer banking services from offices located throughout Texas through PlainsCapital Bank. PlainsCapital Bank’s wholly owned subsidiary, PrimeLending, provides residential mortgage lending throughout the United States. Hilltop Holdings’ broker-dealer subsidiaries, Hilltop Securities Inc. and Momentum Independent Network Inc., provide a full complement of securities brokerage, institutional and investment banking services in addition to clearing services and retail financial advisory. At September 30, 2021, Hilltop employed approximately 5,000 people and operated approximately 410 locations in 47 states. Hilltop Holdings’ common stock is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “HTH.” Find more information at Hilltop-Holdings.com, PlainsCapital.com, PrimeLending.com and Hilltopsecurities.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause our actual results, performance or achievements to be materially different from any future results, performance or achievements anticipated in such statements. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date they are made and, except as required by law, we do not assume any duty to update forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements concerning such things as our plans, objectives, strategies, expectations, intentions and other statements that are not statements of historical fact, and may be identified by words such as “anticipates,” “believes,” “building,” “could,” “estimates,” “expects,” “extent,” “focus,” “forecasts,” “goal,” “guidance,” “intends,” “may,” “might,” “outlook,” “plan,” “probable,” “progressing,” “projects,” “seeks,” “should,” “target,” “view,” “will” or “would” or the negative of these words and phrases or similar words or phrases. The following factors, among others, could cause actual results to differ materially from those set forth in the forward-looking statements: (i) the COVID-19 pandemic and the response of governmental authorities to the pandemic, which have had and may continue to have an adverse impact on the global economy and our business operations and performance; (ii) the credit risks of lending activities, including our ability to estimate credit losses and the allowance for credit losses, as well as the effects of changes in the level of, and trends in, loan delinquencies and write-offs; (iii) effectiveness of our data security controls in the face of cyber attacks; (iv) changes in general economic, market and business conditions in areas or markets where we compete, including changes in the price of crude oil; (v) risks associated with concentration in real estate related loans; and (vi) changes in the interest rate environment and transitions away from the London Interbank Offered Rate. For further discussion of such factors, see the risk factors described in our most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K, and subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and other reports that are filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211028006171/en/
Investor Relations Contact:
Source: Hilltop Holdings Inc.
|Note: “Consolidated” refers to our consolidated financial position and consolidated results of operations, including discontinued operations and assets and liabilities of discontinued operations.|
“Loans” reflect loans held for investment excluding broker-dealer margin loans, net of allowance for credit losses, of $645.6 million and $628.3 million at September 30, 2021 and June 30, 2021, respectively.
Capital ratios reflect Hilltop’s decision to elect the transition option as issued by the federal banking regulatory agencies in March 2020 that permits banking institutions to mitigate the estimated cumulative regulatory capital effects from CECL over a five-year transitionary period.
Based on the end of period Tier 1 capital divided by total average assets during the quarter, excluding goodwill and intangible assets.
Net interest margin is defined as net interest income divided by average interest-earning assets.